Moving to Wing IDE 5 from earlier versions should be easy. The first time you start Wing IDE 5, it will automatically convert your preferences from any older version of Wing IDE and place them into your User Settings Directory.
Wing IDE 5 can be installed and used side by side with older versions of Wing and operates completely independently.
Licenses for Wing IDE 4 and earlier must be upgraded before they can be activated for Wing IDE 5. This can be done in the online store.
Wing IDE 4 and earlier project files will be converted as they are opened and marked untitled so they can be saved under a new name. You should not overwrite your old project files if you plan to continue using an earlier version of Wing IDE with them. Wing IDE 5 project files cannot be read by earlier versions of Wing.
Changes in Wing 5
Wing 5 changes some features and defaults found in earlier versions of Wing:
- Auto-editing is on by default except for auto-entering spaces and block management with repeated presses of the colon key
- Preferences and some menus have been reorganized
- File Sets from Wing IDE 4 are now called File Filters. File Sets in Wing 5 are a new feature for creating named sets of files.
- File Properties have changed to make use of Launch Configurations
- OS Commands has been redesigned to use Launch Configurations and Named Entry Points
- The Python Shell starts with current directory set according to the project or main debug file configuration
- A few key bindings have changed
- Accelerators may have changed from Wing 4 and are no longer available on OS X because Qt follows Mac user interface guidelines, except when the Display Style preference is used to select non-native display
- More project data is stored in the shared branch of two-file projects (Python Path, OS Commands)
- Support for Python <= 2.2 has been dropped on Windows and support for Python <= 2.5 has been dropped on OS X
- New projects created with Wing Pro are always Shared (Two File) projects
|« 1.10. Upgrading||Table of Contents||1.10.1. Fixing a Failed Upgrade »|